Table of Content
AMD, an acronym for Age-related Macular Degeneration, refers to an eye illness, which can even blur the central vision.This generally occurs when aging affects the macula. The macula is basically the part of an eye that controls straight ahead and sharp vision. It’s a common condition that is a leading cause of vision loss in older adults. The health condition doesn’t lead to a complete vision loss, but getting the central vision affected may make it challenging to see the faces, drive, read, or perform other tasks. The illness occurs slowly in some people and may occur faster in others.
Types and Stages of AMD
1. Dry AMDDry AMD is considered when the eye’s macula gets thinner with age. It generally occurs in 3 stages
2. Wet AMDWet AMD is not as common as the dry one. This type causes faster vision loss. Wet AMD is always the late stage when the abnormal vessels develop in the eye’s back and further damage the macula.
Symptoms of AMDAMD is a progressive health condition that means that the symptoms of AMD may get worse over time.
- Early Dry AMD doesn’t lead to any symptoms.
- In the case of intermediate dry AMD. Several people do not experience any symptoms, while others may experience mild symptoms like trouble seeing.
- In the case of late AMD, ample people experience straight lines that look crooked or wavy.
“AMD is a leading cause of vision loss in older adults. It’s an eye disease that affects a person’s central vision but doesn’t make a person completely blind.”
Causes of AMDAMD is more common in older people and is the leading cause of vision loss in older adults. This condition has something to do with genes. However, someone in the family having the same health condition leads to a higher risk of involvement in the health condition.
Who is at risk of AMD?People aged 55 or more are likely to have AMD. However, the people at higher risk who
- Have a family history of the disease
- Are Caucasian
Diagnosing the AMDThe doctor may check for a comprehensive dilated eye examination. This examination is painless and straightforward. However, the doctor may also recommend performing the tests known as Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT).
Treatment of AMDThe treatment generally depends on the type and stage of the health condition. Presently there are no treatments for the early AMD type so that the doctor may keep track of the eyes with regular examinations. For early symptoms
- Eating healthy
- Quitting smoking
- Getting regular exercises
- Medicines like anti-VEGF
- Photodynamic Therapy
Final Takeaway!Scientists are further studying to understand the causes of the illness and ways to treat it better. However, if there is any sort of symptom experienced, make sure to get the medical professional’s advice immediately.
Our Simple 3 Step Process For Medical Marijuana Card
1. Fill up your details in an easy 420 Evaluations form.
2. Get Evaluated by a Local MMJ doctor After Online Submission.
3. Get Approved and Receive your Recommendation In Your Email.
Looking To Apply For A Medical Marijuana Card?
Can Medical Marijuana Help With Nerve Pain?Table of Content Introduction What Is Nerve Pain Relieve Nerve Pain Treat Nerve Pain Medicinal Cannabis Takeaway FAQ Neuropathic pain affects around a million people in the United States. Unfortunately, for...
What is Autism? Its Symptoms, Causes and TreatmentTable of Content Introduction Symptoms Causes Diagnosis Treatment Bottom Line! Autism is a medical condition associated with brain development, which impacts how a person socializes or perceives...
What is Arthritis? Its Symptoms, Causes, Types, and TreatmentTable of Content Introduction Symptoms Causes Diagnosis Treatment Medications for Arthritis Home remedies Bottom Line! Arthritis is the tenderness and swelling of one or more joints. The...